01/19/18 - UPDATE FOR HAMILTON COUNTY RESIDENTS IMPACTED BY IRMA
Hamilton County was recently added to the list of counties eligible for Individual Assistance. Because of this the only way for residents to register is by phone. Registration for Hamilton County will end Saturday, March 10, 2018. Apply today by calling FEMA at 1-800-621-3362 for voice, 711 and Video Relay Service (VRS).
If you are deaf, hard of hearing, or have a speech disability and use a TTY, call 800-462-7585. Help is available in many languages. Helpline numbers are open from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. EST, seven days a week.
A Disaster Recovery Center has opened at the Hamilton County Courthouse Annex in Jasper. Phones are available for survivors who want to register there. The recovery center will be open through Wednesday, January 24. Hours are 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. It is closed on Sunday.
Florida's Homeless Shelters
Options remain for those who have unmet housing needs and need help with their permanent housing plans. We encourage survivors to:
Call their disaster case manager if they have one.
Call 2-1-1 to connect with volunteer agencies that may help.
Go online to FloridaHousingSearch.org to find available housing.
Go online here to search the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development for lenders that may help provide finances to rebuild a home.They may also call HUD at 800-569-4287 or TTY 800-877-8339.
Disaster Loss Deductions
Disaster Loss Deductions – Click here for guidance from the IRS on how to deduct losses from a disaster.
FEMA Assistance - Residents and business owners who sustained losses in counties declared for Individual Assistance can apply for assistance by:
- Registering online at http://www.DisasterAssistance.gov
- Register using the FEMA mobile app
- Calling 800-621-3362 (FEMA) between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m. Applicants who use 711 or Video Relay Service may also call 1-800-621-3362. People who are deaf, hard of hearing or have a speech disability and a TTY my call 800-462-7585. Multilingual operators are available.
Residents who suffered damages in counties not yet declared may register as well, and if their county is later included in the declaration, the application will be processed automatically.
State Assistance Information Line - call 1-800-342-3557 to receive information regarding Hurricane Irma recovery
Florida Keys Recovery - Florida Keys specific recovery information
FloridaHousingSearch.org - A free place to list and find affordable housing in Florida
FEMA Transitional Sheltering Assistance – If you are eligible for Transitional Sheltering Assistance, FEMA will pay for the cost to stay in certain hotels or motels for a limited period of time. Costs covered are for the cost of the room and taxes, and any other expenses are not included. Search the list below of participating locations to see if they have availability in the area you have selected. Since room availability changes quickly, please call the hotel prior to travelling to be sure the hotel can accommodate your need.
Individual Assistance from FEMA contains any or all of 5 different programs: Individuals & Households Program (IHP), Crisis Counseling, Disaster Unemployment Insurance, Disaster Case Management and Disaster Legal Services. The program that deals with money to survivors is IHP and provides funding for survivors based on their needs (uninsured losses), and factoring in other types of available assistance.
Funds may be used for the following:
- Temporary Housing
- Lodging Reimbursement
- Repair of Damage
- Replacement of Housing Resources (including assistance with construction)
- Other Needs Assistance (ONA), which includes disaster related:
- Child care expenses
- Medical, dental, funeral expenses
- Replacing damaged personal property
- Clean up of the primary residence
- Repairing damage to an eligible vehicle
Physical Disaster Loans:
- To Individuals - low interest loans to allow for the repair or replacement of a primary residence and contents that are damaged or destroyed in a disaster. Limits to homeowners are up to $200k for the home itself, and up to $40k for contents (including cars). Limits for renters are up to $40k for contents (including cars)
- To Businesses – low interest loans of up to $2 million to cover disaster losses due to disaster. Funds may not be used to upgrade or expand the business, except as may be required by building codes.
Economic Injury Disaster Loans:
- To Small Businesses – Small businesses who cannot obtain credit elsewhere may apply for low interest loans available up to $2 million in order for the business to be able to meet financial obligations that otherwise would ordinarily have been met had the disaster not taken place. This is designed to be working capital to allow the business to survive until normal operations resume.
Public Assistance - All 67 counties have been declared for Category A & B. Some counties have been declared additionally for Categories C-G.
Florida residents who have been displaced by Hurricane Irma may search for available housing using FloridaHousingSearch.org.
Property owners and managers, you can help by adding and/or updating listing of available units. Login now, or call toll-free 1-877-428-8844 for assistance.
County Emergency Management - county emergency management contacts and websites
A disaster relief center is a readily accessible facility or mobile office where survivors may go for information about programs and to ask questions related to recovery.
Consumers can download a copy of the Department of Financial Services free Emergency Financial Preparedness Toolkit. The Toolkit serves as a one-stop shop for all finance, emergency and insurance contact information. Download and complete the toolkit today.
Consumers with questions about their policies and those who need help filing a claim should call the CFO’s free Insurance Consumer Helpline at 1-877-693-5236.
Florida 511 - Get up-to-the-minute, real-time traffic conditions and incident information for the State of Florida with Florida 511.
FEMA - mobile app
Red Cross - mobile apps
To report price gouging please call 1-866-966-7226
Veterans from storm-impacted areas who require immediate assistance may contact: VA Health Resource Center Disaster Hotline: 1-800-507-4571.